Sooooo this almost died. Thank goodness I don't seem to be capable of abandoning projects lately.
I'll be honest. I haven't done a SINGLE THING in relation to new art or sprites for this. I'm only updating because I had a new idea for gameplay, thanks to some recent gaming I've been doing in the vein of titles with 'permadeath'. I'm experimenting with the idea of having permadeath, however still having lives.
I think I can make that work by making each of my main characters a "life". You die with one, that's it for him or her. You 'respawn' back at the beginning of the game (or level... haven't decided yet) and continue on as one of the remaining characters. They'll come into the level as if they're wandering around in your previous character's wake, or regain consciousness behind some piece of scenery; as if they were there the whole time and your original character walked right past them without knowing.
The level will remain as it was when your previous character died, even going so far as to leave them in the spot they died (assuming it wasn't an environmental type hazard: (lava, acid, drowning, things that totally want to chew on your face.)
The only way to balance this, of course, is to eliminate all character-specific advantages/skills/abilities. This'll be interesting to try to implement for many reasons. Chief among those reasons is this is ALL TOTALLY VAPORWARE! This is a devblog with no dev! :D That's because I still don't have a coder or a way to code myself. Game Maker doesn't feel like it'd be up to the task.
I don't know... I think maybe I just want to make this thing happen as an excuse to get better at pixel sprite animation (because I totally want to be Paul Robertson) and scenery. The gameplay gives me reasons to animate many and varied things, so I'd be stretching myself to make it as good as possible.
Really, if anyone out there has some help they can offer, Get. At. ME.
Thank you. :D
No comments:
Post a Comment